ARNEC is pleased to share with you the results of our survey in April and May 2020 on the impact of COVID-19 on young children and their families and the status of ECD services in the Asia-Pacific region at the height of the pandemic.
We have prepared a PowerPoint presentation on the " Summary of Survey Findings Perspectives on the Impact of COVID-19 on Young Children and Early Childhood Development in the Asia-Pacific Region, (June 2020), Views of the ECD Community".
Some of the key findings include:
• Finding 1. Over 50% of families experienced pandemic-induced stress in the Asia-Pacific region. Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, and the Philippines are worst off with over 70% of families under significant stress.
• Finding 2. Over 50% of families in the region find it hard to cope (fairly coping, slightly coping or not coping) under heightened stress. Families in Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh face the biggest challenge in coping, while families in Bhutan and Brunei are coping relatively better.
• Finding 3. Income losses, school closures, and prolonged home stay are top reasons for family stress in the Asia-Pacific region. Food insecurity is also significantly contributing to stress for families in India, the Philippines, and Bangladesh.
• Finding 4. Young children are not shielded from COVID-induced family stresses; worst-off are Bangladesh and India.
• Finding 5. More than 40% of children are assessed to be affected by disrupted ECD services across the Asia-Pacific region.
• Finding 6. Day care and early learning services for children from 0 to 8 years old are the most disrupted services for children in the Asia-Pacific.
• Finding 7. COVID-19 is having a significant impact on the nurturing care of young children.
• Finding 8. Young children from marginalised families and communities bear a heavy ‘pandemic burden’.
The final and full report on the results of our rapid survey on the impact of COVID-19 on young children and ECD was also released on June 30. The full narrative report also includes an Annex on technical and explanatory notes which contains further explanation on some of the findings, can be found in this link, https://arnec.net/publication/full-narrative-report-on-arnec-rapid-survey-:-perspectives-on-the-impact-of-covid-19-on-young-children-and-ecd-in-the-asia-pacific-region.
This report is final and should be the sole reference for the ARNEC survey on the impact of COVID-19 on young children and ECD in the Asia-Pacific region. Country-level reports will also be made available in the website for selected countries where participation in the survey is significant.